Something looks different, doesn’t it?
Yes, gone are the familiar pink bricks and the kitschy layout. Nothing more than a memory now. (Although I did keep my leather pants in the banner.) I felt it was time for a change and a change happened.
I had been toying with the idea of a fresh start for a while now, so I finally acted on it. I was hesitate at first, but in the end, I think this change is for the better.
Don’t get me wrong; I loved the old look and the site. But I felt I need to shake things up a bit and go a little bit more professional. And sure, the new look blends in with 99% of other blogs out there, but that’s my point and the look I was going for.
You see, there are really only two types of blogs in the world.
Professional Blogs that serve a purpose as to teach, inform and report. Usually written by people who work in a certain type of profession and would be considered an expert on a particular subject.
And Personal Blogs that tell daily stories in the lives of the authors. These can be written by famous people or just ordinary people who live interesting lives
Some well known Personal Blogs that I happen to like include:
- Cheaty Monkey: A mommy-blogger with a gift for writing
- All About Teena: The life of a woman living in Toronto
- DMC & Me: The story of a man and his DeLorean
- Silent Bob Speaks: Kevin Smith’s daily life
- Infernal Journal: Disc jockey Nat Lauzon’s personal life
On the other side of the coin, some Professional Blogs are as follows:
- Shark Guys: Comedy entries done in the style of Cracked Magazine
- ProPR: Joseph Thornley teaches the wonders of social media in Public Relations
- Down the Shore: Author Jen Miller reports on things related to New Jersey
- Fagstein: Popular Montreal blog about Montreal related things
- Bargainista: The art of shopping, great deals and more
A blog has to have a purpose (be it Personal or Professional) and I felt that in the old format, writing the way that I did, I didn’t have one.
I could write from a personal level: single journalist and blogger living in Toronto. Or from a personal level: news an interesting thoughts from around the media. But for some reason I wasn’t able to to both, even though I tried.
So I decided to cash it all in and start fresh.
The new Zoey’s World will be personal. It will be my life in this city and what I do. I’ll leave the tech stories and social media thoughts to those who know what they’re doing. I’ll leave the gossip and news to those who mastered it. And I’ll just write about what I do, which after 34 years I’ve gotten a pretty good handle on.
Thank you to everyone who has followed me so far and welcome to anyone new who decides to come along for the ride.
For those of you kind enough (or foolish enough, depending on how you look at it) to link to my site, you’ll need to update your urls. http://www.zoeysworld.com still works fine, but the backdoor link is now zoeycastelino.wordpress.com. (But feel free to use the zoeysworld.com addy. It works better)