Mondaysomething Turkey Watch

Sorry for the late-in-the-day posting, kiddies… I’ve had a rush-rush type morning. I spent the weekend in Buffalo and then made a stop-over in Niagara Falls so I could finally get a good look at the little waterfall they have there. It’s pretty cool. But just looking at it made me have to pee real bad.

Bill from work pointed out that now since I’m 30, every time a birthday rolls ’round I can just say that I’m “thirtysomething“. You know, like that show I never watched. The one that nobody has any clue to what I’m talking about. Yeah. That one. Yah! Something to look forward to.

As it turns out the site seems to be behaving itself right now, still I plan to do a little work on it over the next few days, so if something doesn’t work right – it’s probably your fault. Ha!

For no other reason other than to make me feel more at home, and for the sake of having a cool party, a few of us are planning to host American Thanksgiving this coming Thursday – even though we’re in Canada. We’re such rebels.

So far the guest-list stands at 8 people which is good because most dish sets don’t come in any larger sizes. However, the problem at hand is that I bought a 35lbs frozen turkey. Normally I wouldn’t care. The bigger, the better. More room for more stuffing. Except according to my mother who has made some of the best turkey dinners ever, a turkey needs a certain amount of time to defrost.

You might want to grab a pen and paper, cuz this is some useful information.

A normal frozen turkey needs 5 hours per pound to defrost. By that same math, a 25 pound turkey will need 125 hours, aprox. That’s five days. That’s too damn long. The question is now will the turkey be ready for dinner on Thursday at 6PM? We’ll see… Let’s check the progress in what I like to call…


Day One (Sunday): Turkey comes home from Wegman’s store in Buffalo in a frozen state. Sits in cold car all afternoon, stays frozen. Crosses Canadian border. Declares no alcohol or tobacco purchases. Slowly starts to defrost a bit. Goes into fridge overnight to help defrost more.

Day Two (Monday): Still frozen. Skin feels a bit, um.. fleshy, but still cold and solid. Turkey is taken out of fridge and left on counter to speed up defrosting process. Fear of bad things happening such as E-Coli and such comes to mind. Turkey moves back into fridge. Turkey is poked every so often to check on defrosting, as if poking will magically help or something.

That seems to be all for now… back to you


Say something!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s